Everyone, if they live long enough, will experience at least one eye health condition in their lifetime.
- In Australia more than 453,000 are blind or vision impaired*
- Eye conditions are projected to increase due to ageing population and lifestyle factors
- It’s estimated 85% of all vision impairment will be among those aged 50 years and over and the growing diabetes epidemic is dramatically impacting Australia’s eye health
- The prevalence of vision impairment and blindness doubles with each decade over 60 years for non-Indigenous Australians
- The prevalence of blindness and vision impairment in Indigenous Australians is three times that of non-Indigenous Australians
- Around 80% of blindness or vision impairment is avoidable or treatable