Sydney Eye Hospital Foundation is the only charity dedicated to supporting Sydney Eye Hospital, giving over $20 million to specialist equipment, life changing research, and to our essential frontline staff and programs.
Everyone, if they live long enough, will experience at least one eye health condition in their lifetime.
- In Australia more than 453,000 are blind or vision impaired*
- Eye conditions are projected to increase due to ageing population and lifestyle factors
- It’s estimated 85% of all vision impairment will be among those aged 50 years and over and the growing diabetes epidemic is dramatically impacting Australia’s eye health
- The prevalence of vision impairment and blindness doubles with each decade over 60 years for non-Indigenous Australians
- The prevalence of blindness and vision impairment in Indigenous Australians is three times that of non-Indigenous Australians
- Around 80% of blindness or vision impairment is avoidable or treatable