About Us

The Rise of Sydney Eye Hospital

The Sydney Eye Hospital, established in 1882, is the largest eye hospital in the southern hemisphere. The hospital was originally the ophthalmic department of the old Sydney ‘Infirmary’ (Sydney Hospital), which was founded with the settlement of the Colony in 1788.

The Ophthalmic Department later transferred to a new site at Millers Point (The Rocks), which consisted of three historic residential houses known as ‘Moorcliff’. The department then became known as The Moorcliff Ophthalmic Branch of Sydney Hospital.

In 1790 with the arrival of the second fleet, a prefabricated hospital was erected on the western shores of Sydney – Drawing by Simon Fieldhouse

The General Hospital, Macquarie Street

The General Hospital, Macquarie Street, was erected by Governor Macquarie 1811-1816.  Known as The Rum Hospital, it was demolished in 1879 and replaced with the present Macquarie Street buildings – Drawing by Simon Fieldhouse


Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital

The Woolloomooloo site

A DREAM COME TRUE

In 1995, with the help of the Sydney Eye Hospital Foundation, Sydney Eye Hospital moved to a brand new Clinical Services building costing $34 million within the grounds of Sydney Hospital. This move saw the reunification of the two hospitals and a name change to ‘Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital’

SYDNEY EYE HOSPITAL FOUNDATION INVOLVEMENT

The Foundation as well as providing $3 million to the cost of the new building, was very active in lobbying various governments in a changing period of health provision in the public hospital area.

Additionally the Foundation provided another $2 million towards the purchase of specialised equipment, and funded a variety of research projects into the prevention of blindness.

Sydney Eye Hospital Foundation Board of Management

All Members of the Board of Management are financial members of the Foundation. They also give their time freely in the interests of enhancing the ability of Sydney Eye Hospital to provide first class eye care to the public of Sydney and beyond.

Current Board Members:

  • Dr T.J. Playfair (President)
  • Prof. F.A. Billson (Snr. Vice President)
  • Dr A.B.L. Hunyor (Jnr. Vice President)
  • Mr P. Bower
  • Dr A. Chang
  • Dr J. Gregory-Roberts
  • Prof. J.R. Grigg
  • Mr J. Hodges
  • A/Prof. A.P. Hunyor
  • Dr G. Kourt
  • Prof. P. McCluskey
  • Dr P. Rumma
  • Dr D. Semmonds
  • A/Prof. M. Simunovic
  • Prof. G. Sutton
  • Mr K. Gardner (Chief Executive Officer)
  • Mrs A. Sharma (Office Manager)

Give the gift of sight through your generosity today